my disenchantment with print media

"it's blend of high fashion and world-class photography" [about] AnOther

Following my recent post about how Harry Styles' feature in AnOther Man magazine has, just maybe, saved me from my disenchantment with print media I thought I would take a few minutes to sit down and explain why exactly I became so disenchanted in the first place.



I remember when I was about twelve and my mum asked me what I wanted to be when I was older, I said I wanted to start up a magazine, that's not about gossip and rumours but real, straight talking articles with good quality content that could be trusted. The problem is though, as ideal as this idea was and how much I still want it to be achieved, gossip and lies sell. I don't quite understand why, if a story isn't true or is vastly over exaggerated, why would you want to pay money for it?

It's all very well that 'Michelle Keegan and Mark Wright are having problems?!' but, let's face it, they're probably not. And, if they are, then why are you wanting to give money to an organisation that profit from other people's misery? And those pregnancy rumours about Cheryl and Liam? I mean they might well be true, but if they weren't then everyone's basically just gossiping about a slight weight gain? That's hardly a nice thing to do.

I wish I could say I understood why people keep picking up these gossip magazines off the shelves, but I just don't. It's not that I'm narrow minded, nor am I trying to make a dig at people who read them, I just don't understand why they're so popular.

It's only since Harry's feature in AnOther Man that I've been doing a bit of research, and there are magazines out there that supply high quality content. They have incredible images of the highest quality, they are honest, classy and feel nice to hold. Magazines like Tatler for example, yes they may be that bit more expensive than your £2 Hello mag, but they're an investment, they're pretty and what they hold within them is well written and real content. I just struggle to understand why people would choose mindless gossip over this.

Maybe it's that they're catering for two very different audiences, and I understand that, I guess I just became so disenchanted by the endless lies sprawled across the flimsy, sticky pages of OK that I stopped really giving any sort of print media a chance. I still will definitely not be reaching for a copy of Hello or Heat but my faith in print media has been restored, to a degree. I'm now far more interested in discovering high quality work that deserves to be paid for and if any of you have any suggestions on 'non-gossip-y' magazines I'd love to hear more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment